Building and Grounds History
First Baptist Church, Inc. (FBCNB) was founded in October 1906 under the leadership of Rev. James L. Jasper.
Rev. Jasper, when visiting some friends in the town, discovered the community was without a church. He and his friends began working together in August 1905, toward the establishment of what is known as the First Baptist Church, Inc. Services were initially held on property that had been donated for a church site and in the homes of friends. In October 1906, a recognition service was held and First Baptist was now a “dream come true.”
FBCNB has been housed in three different buildings. The first building, erected in 1908, was destroyed by fire in 1910. The second building, completed in 1912, was occupied until 1966, when it was razed to make way for the third building. Due to unforeseen delays, however, the third building was not complete until 1970. During the period of 1966-1970, services were held in the North Brentwood Elementary School which stood where the Community center tennis courts are presently located.
The church was housed at 4009 Wallace Road and underwent a renovation in 1987. During the renovations from 1986-1987, services were held in the North Brentwood Community Center. To finance the renovation, the church entered into a 25-year mortgage agreement. On April 3, 1991, we were blessed to retire that mortgage after only three and one-half years, saving nearly $900,000 in interest.
In addition to the Church building and its grounds, First Baptist owns additional properties in the community. We also own a 93-car parking lot.